Ellie Austin-Williams

Graduation: 2014
Degree: ML and contemporary European studies
Languages: French and Spanish
Current position: Postgrad. Graduate Diploma in Law

headshotI am currently studying the law conversion (GDL) before completing the LPC and starting a training contract in March 2016.

I chose to study ML at degree level purely based on my favourite subjects; however I was always driven by the idea of a career which was challenging, diverse, and where I would have potential to use my language skills. A legal career has always interested me, as there are many skills which relate to both languages and law such as analysis and attention to detail.

The opportunities and experiences that I had during my four years at Southampton were vital in helping to secure my training contract; the choices I made on my year abroad allowed me to demonstrate my ability to adapt, my resilience and my determination to succeed, and I used the careers service and law society during my final year in order to gather information on the minefield that is a legal career.

The application process for law is very different to other careers, most notably due to the fact that law firms recruit two years in advance. This allows for a non-law student to complete the GDL and the LPC which are necessary to start a training contract. Modern Languages students are often popular with recruiters, due to the diverse skills gained on a languages degree. It is worth noting that generally, most firms take 50:50 law and non-law students and that if you secure a training contract before commencing postgraduate studies, firms will often pay your course fees so these factors should not put you off applying!

Law is a competitive field for graduates but is definitely a rewarding one. From my experience, the most important thing in securing a vacation scheme and training contract is each applicant’s own experience. Academics on a legal application are simply a tick box – once you meet the minimum requirements, anything above that will not distinguish you from other candidates. What will make the difference is your life experience – part time jobs are invaluable! Recruiters are looking for commercial awareness, so if you have worked in a shop and understand how the business functions, this is what is important. Legal work experience is great, but recruiters know it is difficult to find. Write down anything which shows an interest in the areas which the firms you are applying to practice in. Never think any experience is not worth mentioning – you can draw competencies from all sorts of places, from a newspaper round to running a society or playing a sport.

Connect with Ellie on LinkedIn, in the ML Career Connections group.

Posted By :