By Amir Sezavar Keshavatz
We presented our work in Dragon Den Pitch on Friday 20 May. It took around 10 minutes with some questions.
Some students ask us about the project. One of them asked how it is possible to work with this system prior to student’s arrival to university. The answer is students can register for university email address once they firmly have accepted their offer and they have been allocated an ID Card Number.
Another question was about how it is possible to work with this system after graduation. The answer is after graduation, students still have access to their university email address as they are alumni.
The panel also asked some questions about the project as they claimed the university is implementing the same system. The university already has a lot of system such as SUSSED, eFolio, and other sub systems. However the important thing is that students should know about them, know how to work with them, and are happy working with them.
Another panel member asked us about the different between our project and Facebook. We have compared these two systems and published the work in this blog. Furthermore I answered that there are some similarities between our system and Facebook specially in friendship, creating groups and events. However our system is designed specially for students of the University of Southampton considering their issues. Furthermore we have considered Academic Aspects as well and it is defined in our vision that we want to improve students’ studies as well.
This document, Intelligent Social Movie Recommender, is available to download from DropBox. In case of any modification, please update all the versions. You have to update word document, PDF document in DropBox Folder and Also this post.
By: Amir Sezavar Keshavarz
“Intelligent Social Movie Recommender” is a SNN which gathers people and friends together and recommend movies or theaters to them base on their preferences. This SNN will identify friends interests to each other based on their preferences and then recommend a movie in the best possible location to them.
Users will register themselves in the website and identify different interests and personal details. More information let the agents to know the user better and recommend better package to him.
After that, the users can start adding new friends based on their common interests, find their old friends, or add those that the agent recommends. In this case they are building a community.
The agent then will find out the best movie, theater, or performance based on user interests and then recommends other users which may want to come to that performance. If all agrees to this choice, the agent will choose the best convenient and close location to all users and recommend it to them. After accepting this location, the agent will find out the best path from all users house to the cinema and recommend it to them. Also they can accept on gathering somewhere which the agent can recommend based on their interests and then they can go from that place.
- Personal Profile: Every user has his own personal profile with different sections helping him to manage his networks and hobbies. This will act as a gateway to other features of website.
- Interests and Personal Detail: In this section, which contains various subsections, users will identify their interests to different things which may involves:
- Movie Genre: The genres of movie that the user prefer.
- Performer: This is the favorite actor or actress of users.
- Musics: Favorite music of user.
- Movies: Favorite movie of user.
- Other Interests: Other interests which may help agent for its recommendation
- About Me: About user
- Location: Users will identify his current location allowing the agent to propose the best convenient and close cinema location to him.
- Restaurant: Users will identify the kind of foods they prefer allowing the agent to recommend restaurant to them.
- Ranking: Users can rank to the performance, cinema and restaurant allowing the agent to recommend better choice for them.
MY idea is to make a friend who has same interesting things such as Film, Drama, and Music using by Social network.
For example, if someone watched a film and they want to share their opinion or feeling with stranger, they can join the social network community and make a conversation.
Moreover, they can pin where they are on the map, and possibly they can meet when they go to travel.
In fact, this is getting famous in Korea; however it cannot really social networking and uses it.
I recommended that there should be need a limitation for security and reliable community.
Many people want to visit the place where the location of acting in Film or Drama. They also share the picture and location information on the map.
Perhaps, some people cannot visit the area where the location. There are lots of reason such as far from where they live, money and time. But they can check the picture on the map from others pictures.
When someone visit the location, and they want to meet stranger who has interesting in same social networking community. Possibly visitor will know where they are using the map information what I mentioned.
So, basically my idea is based on the map. Put it on the map what their information and share what they have.
By Taekyun W.K.
This document, SOTON Student Connect, is available to download from DropBox. In case of any modification, please update all the versions. You have to update word document, PDF document in DropBox Folder and Also this post.
By: Amir Sezavar Keshavarz, Shahin Jahromi
Brief and Overview
“SOTON Student Connect” is a Social Network Site (SNS) designed for students of the University of Southampton newcomers to bring opportunities for socializing and adapting better to their new life.
In this SNS, students will register into the system with their university email addresses. After that, they can add their friends, find new friends who have something in common with them. They also can plan for an event or group study.
At University of Southampton, there are various portals and services which students and staff can use in order to fulfill their daily life needs. These needs are mostly academic and they have not considered the social aspects that much. Furthermore, there are some other needs that students have in their student life.
In this proposed SNS, we provide the opportunity for users to identify their field of study and their enrolled modules and in case they follow any module’s page, they can communicate with their class mates, ask questions and find their answers.
Apart from this academic need, they can also create communities and societies and try to attract more students and invite them to their groups.
Another important part of student’s life is their accommodation. Some students are in university accommodations and some stay in privately rented houses. In either case, they have the opportunity to add their address and find near friends and find people in their halls of residence.
- Personal Profile: Every student has his own personal profile with different sections helping him to manage his networks and hobbies. This will act as a gateway to other features of website.
- Field of Study and Enrolled Modules: Students will be identified by their field of study and enrolled modules in order to get involved. After that, they following the module page and are allowed for different features such as posting and answering.
- Personal Details
- Sports: Identify his favorite sports
- Musics: Identify his favorite musics
- Movies: Identify his favorite movies
- Interests: Identify his favorite interests
- Location: Identify his hometown and current location
- Language: Identify languages he knows
- About me: A Personal section for writing about himself allowing others to know him better
- Blog: Students have a personal space to write about anything they might be interested in and publish it in their profile. There are other features such as like and comment for blog entries. students can also import their external blog entries to their personal profile.
- Resume: In this section, students can create their resume and skills and upload it on their personal file store. The CV will be available for everyone in the Internet and also they can upload their CV.
- Accommodation: The next major part of this SNS, is accommodation section. Students have the opportunity to identify where they are living. In case of university accommodation, they can add their flat mates. They also have other features such as writing about their experiences, different events, or any problem that they might experiencing through their living. Their flat manager will have the opportunity to view this space and manage any problem that might be available.
- Societies and Communities: Different kinds of societies and communities are available for students to get involved or support. They are able to create a new ones or join existing ones.
- Holiday and Trip Management: In holidays or weekends, students can join a trip to somewhere. In this space, they can find people with same interests and plan with themselves to go somewhere.
- Group Project and Group Studying: Some modules have group project or students may wish to study in groups. In this space, they can find other students with same interests and join them.
- Reporting: In this section, students are provided with a visualized chart demonstrating their network based on different criterion such as: Friend categories, Religion, Political, Sports, Musics, Movies, Books, Arts, Games, Television, Activities and Interests.
- Sports: Here, students can manage their interests in sports and find people with same taste. Then they can go to gym and exercise together or compete in various fields.
- Restaurant and Eating: Students can suggest different kinds of food and good restaurants with each other.
- Calendar: Every student has different kinds of calendar such as:
- Event: Students can keep track of their event lists
- Study: Students can keep track of his study calendar and timing. To plan for study time.
- Travel Arrangement: Travel arrangement helps users to keep track of their travel times.
- Photographs: To put photos in their calendar and view them.
- Financial Transaction: This calendar helps students to keep track of financial transaction.
- Events: Students can plan for different events, find other students with similar taste who are not necessary studying in the same module.
My proposed idea is a website called ‘WhatWhenWhere’ (though the name can change). The idea is best described as a micro-forum meets public wiki (like for example Sickipedia, which is a heavily NSFW website that specialises in offensive and rude jokes where people vote for their favourites, due to the content only go on there with caution) meets Twitter meets google “define:”. Users can post messages that contain a searchable and sortable term which I will describe as the ‘key word’, which could be an object, a scientific or technological process, a place, a date, or some social event (like a sports event or a movie). They then go on to write something of value about that term – it could be anything from what the term means or something humorous or something sentimental or anecdotal. The ‘key word’ can be chosen from a preset pool of key words or from what’s popular on that day on the site, or be a new user made one.
“Apple is a good company for products, but they seem to have hidden motives to take over the world.”
“1996 was an AWESOME year for music. Spice Girls?”
“Trolling is not a method of fishing anymore, but ACTUALLY means to annoy a lot of people online. I love Trolling.
“Manchester United vs. Wigan was the most one sided game I have ever seen, oh and the referee must have been watching a different game – he was awful.”
“Harry Potter is a terrible movie franchise. Who cares about stupid wizards and magic wands?”
Once these messages have been posted they start on a score of 0 other users can read them, and can choose to vote to agree with them (and add a positive point to the message’s score) or disagree (take points away and so give negative points). If a user signs up for an account that would be free, their vote has greater weight then a vote cast anonymously.
Users will be able to see the most voted up messages, and can also search for messages that contain the same ‘key word’ or are in the same category. Registered users can also click on the message body and then they can add comments about it or reply to already post comments. If the user actually disagrees with what was in the original message they can issue a ‘to the author of Challenge’ the original message directly that everyone can see and write what they think it should say.
For example here is what the messages could look like on the website and how people can challenge:
“Apple is a good company for products, but they seem to have hidden motives to take over the world.” Reply? Challenge? Agree! Disagree! Flag! Favourite?
Applefanboyx issues a CHALLENGE! To Jack01
“Apple always makes awesome stuff, and they look awesome and are awesome to use. Some people are just jealous because they use inferior products.” Reply? Challenge? Agree! Disagree! Flag! Favourite?
These challenges can also be agreed and disagreed with, if they get agreed with enough and actually overtake the original message in terms of score – they will be posted immediately below the original message. People can also choose to flag messages and replies. An example application of this would be voting flagging spam replies or replies that are offensive or irrelevant entirely, and eventually like sites like Youtube these replies will become hidden and if inappropriate enough – deleted. Any reply that gets agreed with enough will also have a star appear next to the reply.
Like websites where you have topics for example news websites or other joke websites, there will be genres that you can tag messages with for the type of content posted. Tags can include things like events, sport, recent, oddities, science, technology and more. People can also see what are the most popular or active (for example a message with 50+ replies) messages of the day/week/or month (like Twitter trends) and can choose to post about those things themselves, or contribute a reply. Another feature could be a sections showing the most agreed with messages and the most disagreed.
The whole point of this proposed idea is to encourage people to interact and share information and discussion of value to them about something and hopefully connect people through the subject of popular social terms or events, or academic interests all the way to niche interests.
By Botong Li
The website offers for every registered user to create some kind of event: it can be some party, rock concert, dinner event and etc. Other users which find some events in common interest may register and RSVP for event(s).
During event registration each user must fulfill address field of event which will be shown on Google Map as the event address.
All users who RSVP for particular event will see other users who chose the same event. They can add each other to their friend list so that they will be able to know each other before meeting in reality.
Each users profile will be in a great extent similar to the facebook profiles where friends can post comments, write on walls or like/dislike the posted events. Unlike facebook profiles, the profile of users created events should be public (not private) so that other users may see and RSVP for them.
The process should be implemented in the next stages:
1. Requirements and specification of the project (e.g., domain analysis, requirements gathering, etc.) – 1 week;
2. Design stage of the project – 2 weeks;
3. Modeling (UML diagrams) – 2 weeks;
4. Programming – 2 weeks;
5. Quality Assurance (e.g. reviews and inspections, testing) – 2 weeks.
By Kanan F.
“Intelligent Social Movie Recommender” is a social network website which gathers people and friends together and recommend movies or theaters to them base on their preferences. This SNS will identify friends interests to each other based on their preferences and then recommend a movie in the best possible location to them.
The idea is a website called ‘WhatWhenWhere’ (though the name can change). The idea is best described as a micro-forum meets public wiki (like for example Sickipedia, which is a heavily NSFW website that specialises in offensive and rude jokes where people vote for their favourites, due to the content only go on there with caution) meets Twitter meets google “define:”.
The website offers for every registered user to create some kind of event: it can be some party, rock concert, dinner event and etc. Other users which find some events in common interest may register and RSVP for event(s). Each users profile will be in a great extent similar to the facebook profiles where friends can post comments, write on walls or like/dislike the posted events. Unlike facebook profiles, the profile of users created events have to be public (not private) so that other users may see and RSVP for them.
The idea is to provide a social networking facility for the University of Southampton students and specially newcomers in order to enable them to start socialising and making friends as soon as they register to the university and before even they start their journeys to Southampton.