Oleosi Ntshebe

Household structure and Child Health in Botswana
Oleosi Ntshebe (University of Southampton)

Paper

Discussant comments

Authors reply to discussant

5 Responses to Oleosi Ntshebe

1. Oleosi Ntshebe says:

Dear Prof Sandall
    Thank you very much for your comments and observations on my paper, they are relelevant. I am sending a full response as an attachment.
    Best
    Oleosi

2. Sangeetha Madhavan says:

A couple of questions:

1) There is no control for breastfeeding which is surprising given that the outcome is diarrhea; is this data available?

2) Do we know about maternal survival?

3) Do you control for number of children under 5 in the household (Peter Aaby’s classic work) when looking at diarrhea?

• Oleosi Ntshebe says:

Dear Sangeetha
      Thank you for questions. I agree that breastfeeding is a potential predictor for diaarhoea, and I will look into it. I had examined maternal survival and found that it is not significantly associated with the two conditions. Regarding the number of children in the household, the unit of analysis is the child and depending on their relationship with other household members and the household head, they wont necessarily have the same household experience.

• Oleosi Ntshebe says:

T

• Oleosi Ntshebe says:

To Sangeetha-after giving thought and discussion with my supervisors on controlling for number of children under five in the household, I agree this is a potential variable especially for diarrhoea. Though I said that the children may not have the same household experience, and the reason why I investigate the influence of household structrure on child health, it is possible that the number of children under five years might be important for diarrhoea irrespective of the structure. Thanks once again for these important questions and suggestion to read Aaby’s paper.