The Geology and Geophysics Research Group includes about 60 staff and PhD students. We are among the most active research groups in this field in Europe.
Our specific research strengths include:
- the tectonics and dynamics of active plate boundaries and continental margins including sub-seabed fluid flow processes
- continental slope and deep-water sedimentation processes including mass-wasting, geohazards, environmental geology and ecosystems
- the role of fault system growth and evolution in crustal deformation
- coastal and continental shelf sedimentary environments and processes including the interaction with engineering structures.
- high resolution quantitative and qualitative analysis of the seabed and immediate sub-surface using active and passive acoustics and controlled source electromagnetics.
Our work is underpinned by world-class facilities for controlled source electromagnetic sounding, ocean bottom seismology, high resolution sea floor imagery, and the analysis of cores and other sea-bottom samples.
Contact: Dr Justin Dix