Motorbikes and marketing placements

This post is written by third year Marketing student Scott, currently enjoying a placement at BMW Motorrad.

scott-bmw2I have been working at BMW Motorrad as a Digital Marketing Assistant for 4 months now and I’m finding it hard to believe how quickly the weeks are flying by; I’ve also found that the weekend flies by even faster!

As a Digital Marketing Assistant, I am responsible for maintaining the national website for BMW Motorrad and all of their social media accounts. I am also in charge of the advert creation process and this has led me to create several adverts that we display on popular motorcycle websites.

As part of my day-to-day, I will perform website updates to make sure that all of the information displaying on the website is correct and up-to-date. This also includes the creation of new web pages that display information relating to our current offers. During the week, I create the communication bulletin
that I send out to each retailer and this lets each of them know about changes that they need to keep an eye
out for. In addition, I will liaise with a variety of agencies that we use and brief in new projects that need to be completed in preparation for bike launches and events etc.

Despite my job title, I have also had the opportunity to work at and organise events for the company, both of which have been great learning experiences in themselves. Although it was stressful at the time, I was given a lot of responsibility in organising our new bike training event for each of the retailers at Donington race circuit and it was great to see the event come to realisation.scottbmw1

A particular highlight of my placement so far would be working at the Moto GP in Silverstone at the beginning of September, as this was an event I always watched on television growing up. If you haven’t been to a Moto GP before I would seriously recommend it and watching it on television doesn’t do it justice in the slightest!

Later this year, I will be working in a Motorrad retailer in order to see how this side of the business operates and at the start of next year I will gain experience working at one of our agencies, which in turn will benefit me in my current role and help me with deciding a career path. I am also looking forward to getting my motorcycle licence through BMW Rider Training by the end of the year.