My first month at Virgin Media

This post is written by third year Accounting and Finance student Matt, currently enjoying a finance internship at Virgin Media.

So, I’ve nearly completed my first month at Virgin Media, working in the Contact Centre Finance team, and it has already been a steep learning curve. It started with a couple of days of induction with all of the other interns across the company, providing strong opportunities for networking. The induction primarily focused on the core values of Virgin Media, and the importance of them on a day-to-day basis, with guest speakers coming in from all areas of the business to provide tips and a general insight into the company.  Following this came three days of ‘handover’ period in the office, where the previous intern showed me the ropes. There were lots of them!

In Finance, month end is a very busy period. The timings worked out just perfectly, so I started working just as it was about to start. Thankfully the people here are incredibly supportive, providing guidance whenever I needed it. One of the great things about Virgin Media is that they have a designated ‘Head of Year’ for each group of interns depending on department, as another point of contact. This has been great as my Head of Year has enabled us finance interns to meet senior finance managers, and has delivered small meetings to develop our business skills.

My team work in the ‘Customer’ division of the company, and we look after all the contact centres globally. We constantly work with partners domestically and overseas in South East Asia.  Working in the management accounting side of the company certainly has delivered great exposure. Already I have been involved in projects surrounding Brexit. For example, looking at our ForEx spend to reveal the real effect that the nation’s decision is having.

Over the next few months I am planning to travel around the country, visiting various different functions of the company, in particular the contact centres. As it’s what I’m dealing with day-to-day, it’ll be great to gain first-hand experience and an understanding of the tools that drive performance in our contact centres. Other days out will include shadowing our front line engineers, the ‘faces of Virgin Media’.

I’m looking forward to the rest of the year, and getting stuck in with all of the opportunities on offer here at Virgin Media!

Virgin Media are currently advertising placements for 2017/18. For more information, please check the jobs board.