Events, events and more events

This post is written by third year Marketing student Ellis, currently enjoying a PR placement at BMW.

Although being an Events Assistant at BMW isn’t as glitzy and glamorous as I first expected, the breadth of the role has allowed me to explore many business areas and make the most of my time with the company.

When I am in the office, I support on day-to-day activities such as vehicle logistics and fleet management, updating Events information on our national website and social media channels, assisting with presentations and reporting and also budget keeping and finance admin. However, the unexpected nature of events means that I could be working on something different every week!

bmw6

Since starting with BMW I have been involved with the preparation and execution on site of a number of events including: America’s Cup, Moto GP, Goodwood Revival, BMW Driving Experience Days and Frieze Art Fair. Over a short space of time I have experienced a broad range of the events BMW has to offer, but my favourite by far was Frieze Art Fair. I was heavily involved in the preparation of the event, taking responsibility of vehicle management and staffing, and although it had its challenges, working on-site was a great experience.

Working in the Events team means I get a lot of exposure to other areas of BMW. Most external events involve working with the Digital Marketing and bmw3Product teams as well as CRM. We also often work closely with the Modern Retailing team, and liaise with MINI on some elements of events. This has allowed me to experience the breadth of marketing in a large company and has helped me to focus my career interests for when I graduate. It has also given me lots of unique dissertation ideas!

Throughout the rest of my placement year I hope to take on more responsibility. I am recently organised a customer event for the launch of the M3 30 Jahre special edition, and I took sole responsibility for this event. It seemed intimidating to start with but it has allowed me to put into practice skills I have learnt in my degree and previous work experience, and the event was very popular on the night.

bmwcollageWorking in Events may be challenging, but it is an enjoyable area of marketing that allows you to explore your creative and organisational potential. I never expected to have so much responsibility on my placement but I am relishing in the opportunity and am slowly getting used to expecting the unexpected!

If you would like to apply for a placement at BMW, find out my top tips for applying here.