Covid-19 – FAQ’s about your placement

We are aware that this is a very uncertain time for a lot of students. Whether they are currently on placement, looking for placements, or simply wondering what to do next. There are a lot of questions so we have put together some FAQ’s which can answer some of your queries.

Students searching for Placements 2021/22

Should I still be starting to think about my Placement Year?

Yes! The Placements Team are all still accessible to assist you with any applications, interviews and more. This can be organised via email, telephone, and Microsoft Teams. You should have received an email from your allocated Placement Advisor earlier this month so get in contact with them to make an appointment and discuss the first/next steps in your Placement search.

I am in my home country (outside the UK), can I still get help with Placement applications?

Of course! As stated above, the Placements Team are still accessible via email, telephone, and Microsoft Teams. Send an email or make an appointment via Microsoft Teams to get assistance with your CV, Cover Letters, or anything else required for your applications.

Be aware of time differences – the Placements Team are usually available between 9:00am – 4:30pm Monday – Friday. Some adjustments to these times can be made if you have returned to your home country where there is a large time difference with the UK.

Students on Placement in 2019/20 and 2020/21

I am now working from home in accordance with the government guidance, is this acceptable?

Definitely! We want all our students to have a placement experience and we also want you to all be safe during this time. If you are now working from home, please ask your Line Manager to send an email to your Placement Advisor or placements.sbs@soton.ac.uk to confirm that you have the equipment and ability to work from home and are being supported through this time.

I have been furloughed, is there anything that I need to do?

Sorry to hear that you have been furloughed. Please get in contact with your Placement Advisor with the anticipated dates or period of your furlough. Keep your Placement Advisor aware of any changes to your working circumstance or environment.

My employer has asked that I return to/enter the work place, what do I need to do?

Our primary concern is your safety and welfare. Please make and appointment with your Placement Advisor or give them a call if you are asked to return to the work place. We will need to conduct a Risk Assessment to ensure that there is no significant risk to you if you enter the workplace as well as ensure your employer has appropriate measures in place to mitigate risks associated with COVID-19.